Outgoing PGY-5, Infectious Disease
1) What is your favourite thing about working as a member of the medical team here at the Ottawa Hospital?
The opportunity to have met, worked with, and learned from so many wonderful people including co-residents, staff, nurses, admin support, and other allied health services. That and the diversity of patients from all different cultures and languages made infectious disease consult service more interesting.
2) What are you most looking forward to about becoming a staff physician and what are you most nervous about?
The thing I look forward to most is the opportunity to move back to my home province (NB) and take the skills I’ve acquired here back there.
3) What inspired you to get into medicine and your chosen speciality?
I was inspired to get into medicine for the opportunity to help people. I chose infectious diseases because of the breadth of knowledge base required to deal with interesting cases involving any organ system, the puzzle of sorting through an exposure history, and opportunity to stay involved at both the individual and population levels of health.
4) What message do you wish to share with patients and their families during these times of uncertainty?
It’s important to stay together help one another and to combat fear and misinformation. Also please continue to social distance and wash your hands.
5) What are you doing to take care of yourself (i.e. hobbies, self-care) during the time of Covid-19?
Mostly making sure to take time to stay in touch with family, chasing and playing with my 4 year old is a great way to be mindful and relieve stress after a long day of work